Sunday 20 May 2012

Final info and routes

Here are the actual routes that we took the data is taken from a Garmin GPS watch.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10

Day 11a

Day 11b

Day 12

Day 13

Day 14

Day 15

Day 16a

Day 16b

Day 16c

Day 16d

Train

To airport

The total distance was 1027 miles.

The equipment I had a GPS and an iPhone mounted on the bike. The GPS was used to provide details of routes, speed, travel time, etc. and the iPhone kept me in touch (signal permitted) to get text messages, and allowing for quick access to take photos. I also used the iPhone to try and make audio clips while on the bike, but they did not come out clearly due to too much background noise.

The weight difference between the kit that Ray and I took was significant, mine probably twice the weight of Ray's, my bike is also heavier.

Next time I would take less clothes, and to send on the heavy plastic mattress bag that I used to pack the bike in for the flight back.

Next time I would take a better pump so that we could pump up the tyres to a high pressure, without having to rely on bike shops.

One of the important parts of the trip was being able to stay dry and warm. If we put on waterproof tops and trousers early enough we could stay fairly dry. My waterproof trousers ended up roping as they kept getting caught on the chain or front gear changer, a way to tuck them in would have prevented this. The best method I found for keeping my feet dry was to wear thick socks, trainers waterproof overshoes then the water repellent tights over the top of that, so that the foot loop went under the trainers.

Staying safe on the road, was achieved by picking smaller roads whenever possible, letting lorries pass on twisty or narrow roads, and not undertaking. Even then there were a few incidents, so keeping aware of what is around is critical.

It was really great fun, and it did make me realise that the journey is what counts.

Cheers
Paul

Riding the length of the UK so you don't have to ;)
You can sponsor me at
https://www.justgiving.com/Margaret-beattie

No comments:

Post a Comment